Wednesday 8 May 2013

Antique School Desk

 At the beginning of last summer (before we moved into our new house) I had gone to a few yard sales. At one yard sale I came across this desk and knew I wanted it badly. The price was a little more then I wanted to pay but when the owner walked over to bargain with me we quickly noticed we had met before at a local market (our tables were side by side). She said she knew that I would take great care of the piece and was happy I wanted to keep it for my daughter so she sold it to me for $20! Here is the little darling before her makeover.


I gave it a full coat of primer and let that dry. Don't you love my work area? My living room! Yea...my husband loves it too (insert sarcasm) but with a toddler around sometimes it is just not practical to work outside or in the basement. 
Next I gave it a quick coat of an off white and wasn't too particular about the coverage because I wanted this piece to be distressed and look its age. 

Here is the student trying out her new desk right before mommy finished it off with some dark wax! I think she's happy (well happier then she looks in this picture anyway)

And here is the finished piece.


I kept the hardware the exact same and didn't even want to scrub it for a fear that I may take off some of the aging and make it look new again. 

I distressed the seat the most and the dark wax does a great job of showing the 'wear and tear' I love that this desk now looks like it could have been just taken from a 1920's classroom. 
 Here she sits in the playroom right next to the chalkboard. We may have the perfect homework spot in our future...hopefully not too soon though. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi;
      I just read you blog on this beautiful little piece and I could seee all of your pictures no problem!
      Love what you did an I am sure your little girl will enjoy it for years to come!! Awesome Job!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for letting me know and I'm so glad you loved the makeover.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out todays post! I would love to hear from you, please leave your comments or questions and I will try my hardest to respond to each one.

Christina