Saturday 12 April 2014

Country Red Hutch


 Who doesn't love a beautiful hutch? 
Am I right?

Well OK...this one didn't start off on the pretty side or the hutch side...I think it was once a TV unit. 
But when I saw it I instantly thought DISHES! It literally screamed inside my head just like that too. 
Its a good thing I've learnt to control my mouth or I would walk around yelling random words like "DISHES!" and "PAINT & WAX"!  





You will have to excuse my painting area, Canada has decided we do not need spring and we will stick with winter for a while. 
Forcing me inside. 
The piece was too heavy to carry down to the basement just to paint, so I did it in my main living room...my husband loves when I do that (insert sarcasm here).


Here are the doors after their two coats of paint. I love that the paint let the wood grain bleed through. 


Here they are after distressing. I thought this was a perfect time to try out my new Minwax finishing paste. 

I have to say I LOVE this wax! very thin and workable and leaves a great shine to the wood. The door on the left is before wax the door on the right is after the wax. 

The hardware seemed to fit the date of the hutch so well and I really loved it for the look I was going for. So I decided to give it a clean polish with some Brasso. Here they are before. 

Here they are after. Not as big a difference if I were to spray paint them but they are shiny and the wood grain stands out beautifully with the gold. 

Here is the entire thing put back together! 

WOW right?? 
Not so 80's living room anymore huh?

Here is a little before and after! 

Linking up to:
Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Embracing Change

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I think all of us DIY ladies are happy were able to keep our thoughts inside our heads most of the time. Completely embarrassing if not . . . LOL.

    Love how the cabinet turned out and I have to say I'm am loving the color you used on it. A bit of red is never wrong in my book. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robin!! I think training our tongue is a must as DIY'ers haha!!

      Delete
  2. Love the color! Turned out beautifully! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out todays post! I would love to hear from you, please leave your comments or questions and I will try my hardest to respond to each one.

Christina